A Travellerspoint blog

Etti ‘The Alpha’ Goes Home: Let the Operations Commence


The incidents involving Etti yesterday proved two things:

1) with every day that passes, Etti is getting more frustrated and miserable being confined to the sanctuary;
2) he is taking this anger out on the other dogs here;
3) he is healthy enough to go back home to Wimali.

Marie-Eve really didn’t want any distractions during the surgeries today like she experienced yesterday and so in the morning Gemma and I borrowed the car from the school and drove him back home.

I picked him up and carried him to the car. For such a strong, powerful dog – obviously a born Alpha – I am often struck by how comparatively small he is next to me. Nonetheless, he is pure muscle, and so I had to walk quickly with him frozen in my arms through the rest of the curious dogs.

Taking him out of the sanctuary, he turns into a completely different canine. Obviously scared, as I placed him in the back of the car he was rigid and stayed so until we had travelled for at least ten minutes.

Twenty minutes later and we were stood outside the orphanage where we had found him almost 5 weeks ago. He was overjoyed to be back out on the street. Straight away he was running up and down the road, marking his territory and letting the other dogs know that the King was back in town. I felt very emotional letting Etti go, made more so when I looked back in my wing mirror and saw him running after us.

I am sure that the first brief moments that he is in his old patch will feel strange to him, but seeing his initial reaction at being back, free on the streets I now know that he is a far happier Etti than he was 48 hours ago. Our boy was just a street dog through and through, if ever I saw one.

Arriving back at the sanctuary, we are told by Marie-Eve that Mr Bean’s leg had become infected by maggots. Luckily, because they were detected early on, they are still very small. The wounds have therefore been cleaned and a new dressing and cast has been put on.

At last, now that it’s (relatively) quieter and calmer in the sanctuary with one less Alpha male in the pack, this afternoon means that we could finally get down to sterilising our 4 females that had been patiently waiting for 48 hours.

The two puppies we spayed first and then one of our own girls at the sanctuary – Fleta. We had decided to leave the lovely fat one (as we have now named her) last, through concerns that she may have pyometra. Marie-Eve believes that this last girl that we sterilised did have a tumour in her uterus – likely to have been caused by the hormone injection that her owner had been given her. With the uterus and ovaries now removed, we expect her to make a full recovery just like the other patients.

Surgery finished at about 7.30pm. After feeding the dogs and giving out the evening medications, we were done a little before 9pm.

Furthermore, the next 12 hours are going to prove crucial for the rabbit whose leg we amputated yesterday. Amazingly, this morning the aptly named ‘Super Rabbit’ began hopping around the floor and his appetite is good. However, this afternoon when Marie-Eve checked up on him the area around the amputation began to look rotten. The dangers of working in such basic conditions may prove fatal for our Super Rabbit.

_MG_8420.jpg SAM_0677.jpg

Posted by StreetBitch 23:19 Archived in Thailand

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint