A Travellerspoint blog

Many Thanks to Maxi Medical


Yesterday Marie-Eve left for Bangkok to pick up a few personal things and get some veterinary supplies which are difficult to source locally in Sangklaburi.

Bangkok is infamous for its difficulty in finding places – specifically supply shops. After 3 hours of walking up and down the same street, she located our veterinary supply store. Maxi Medical not only had the equipment that we required, but were so generous that they donated multiple boxes of catheters and other supplies to the sanctuary absolutely free.

We are very grateful to the kind woman working there who donated these items; they could not have come at a more convenient time as we get underway with our sterilisations.

Bach here in Sangklaburi, it was that time of the month again to go back to Wimali to give the next round of scabies injections. All of our usual cases were easily found and treated accordingly.

When we returned to the sanctuary we popped down the road to check up on how our first round of sterilisations that we returned to the streets yesterday was doing. One of the mother’s stitches had opened slightly, so we cleaned it and put a staple in to keep the wound together.

As I am planning to go Kanchanaburi tomorrow to see some of the historical sights, I helped Gemma catch dogs this evening ready for us to spay on Saturday when both Marie-Eve and I are back.

Posted by StreetBitch 06:33 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

Missing uteruses

This morning, as Gemma, Marie-Eve and I were preparing for our day of surgery, Jose called Gemma to let her know that she would not be coming into the sanctuary today as she had decided to leave Sangklaburi.

During the operations the vet and I are completely sterile and are therefore unable to touch any object that isn’t. Consequently, when it comes to preparing the next dog for their surgery Gemma is on her own giving the pre-meds, inserting the catheter and shaving. It is therefore a hindrance to have lost another set of non-sterile hands.

As things got underway, with a slightly later start than we had hoped for, we successfully sterilized one female puppy and one male puppy. Their sister, however, proved to be more of a challenge and after an hour and a half we were still unable to find her uterus. We had to end the surgery unsuccessfully, but plan to go in midline instead of using the flank spay in a weeks’ time.

Lastly was our big girl who we call ‘Four Legs’ because of her resemblance to our very own ‘Three Legs.’ Once again, it was very hard to find this girls uterus and after a while, we discovered the faint outline of a small tattoo on her ear, indicating that she has already been sterilized. It wasn’t until we actually shaved the ear that the tattoo became visible and definite enough that it was confirmed she had already been ‘done’; the poor girl had gone through all of that for nothing. This is why we are cutting a small shape in the dogs’ ears when they have been sterilized, as this makes it much easier to identify from a distance those that are ‘fixed’ and those that aren’t.

Posted by StreetBitch 11:10 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

Two Days, Ten Sterilizations


Yesterday we sterilized the six puppies that were caught on Wednesday. The four females were spayed first and then the two males were neutered. After grabbing a large breakfast in the market we were able to begin operating at 10am, finishing at 3pm.

Unable to fully sterilize the equipment between each surgery, we instead give the instruments as thorough a clean as possible with alcohol between each dog. It is far from ideal, but unfortunately in the basic conditions that we are working with there is little alternative.

Today, we concentrated on adult spays, operating on the two adults from yesterday’s pack of puppies and two adult females that we caught in the same area. All of the operations went very smoothly. This is a relief as much as it is a surprise. The last sterilization project that the sanctuary ran encountered two pyometra cases for every one ‘normal’ street dog that they operated on.

_MG_8336.jpg _MG_8325.jpg

SAM_0561.jpg _MG_8324.jpg

Posted by StreetBitch 10:54 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

5 Litres of Water From His Belly


Waterbelly is currently on medication to tackle what we believe is a type of heartworm. This medication, however, is expected to take months, if not years, to work. In an attempt to monitor his weight we therefore drain his stomach of fluid every few weeks.

This morning we drained 5 litres of liquid from his belly, bringing his weight down to 15kg. Whilst we are able to see a visible difference in Waterbelly afterwards, unfortunately the effects do not seem to last long enough and he his soon back to his previous shape within a couple of weeks.

We have a new arrival at the sanctuary – a puppy that was hit by a car and now has a fractured front leg. The aptly named ‘Mr Bean’ is very clumsy and is constantly jumping up to say ‘hello’ and then landing with full force on his broken leg. We have also noticed him getting his cast trapped underneath pieces of furniture and then yelping in pain. ‘Baby Bean’ – as I have taken to calling him – is such a character, albeit not very bright!

Posted by StreetBitch 03:56 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

Rabies Vaccination and Dog Catching


Everyone was exhausted after yesterday’s events. I also had another reason for a sleepless night. Yesterday I drank from a water bottle that had been used to cool our traumatized puppy down. Whilst there seemed to be little cause for concern, there was a sufficient amount to worry me. Rabies is spread through a dog’s saliva and I didn’t want to take any chances just in case the poor puppy that died had the disease.

I had therefore decided early this morning that I wanted to obtain the post-exposure vaccine which is available from the local hospital. Having volunteered with wildlife and dogs many times before, I’ve already had the 3 crucial pre-exposure rabies vaccinations. Despite today being a national holiday, the ‘Accidental and Emergency’ unit was still open at the hospital. I was issued with a hospital registration card and the injection was administered, with a total cost of 450 baht.

For lunch Gemma, Marie-Eve and I went to Song Kalia to sit by the river. Later in the afternoon we went out looking for street dogs to sterilize over the coming days. We have decided to focus our attentions heavily on females. Fortunately, we discovered a family of six puppies (4 females, 2 males) and 2 older females (we are assuming one is the mother, the other is the aunt). We are currently waiting for some important materials to arrive from Bangkok. Once we are in possession of our order then we can commence with the female sterilizations.

Posted by StreetBitch 16:41 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

(Entries 6 - 10 of 25) « Page 1 [2] 3 4 5 »